[PD-dev] patch for alsa sequencer midi support

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Nov 4 13:07:26 CET 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Pablo wrote:

> Here is a patch for pd that gives native alsa sequencer support for
> routing midi messages.
> It is the working version i have, and it chooses between alsa or oss at
> compile time, the code seemed prepared for such a thing, but i'm
> thinking it might be better to let the user choose at execution as with
> audio.
>
> As i can take some time to think about a way to do it differently here
> is the initial 'unofficial' patch for people who can benefit from it and
> test it.
>
> http://nabla.ath.cx/delirium/pd_alsa_midi.patch.diff

Hi, thanks for  the patch. I just tried it out. Hooked up seq24 to pd.
Its really easy to use. Works very well for basic midi messages.

> you should apply the patch to a fresh cvs checkout with
>   patch -p1 < pd_alsa_midi.patch
> (execute that from the main dir of the checkout)
>
> i had some problems with configure script that led to stupid compile
> errors.
> it seems my final makefile was missing -DUNIX and -DUNISTD in MORECFLAGS
> variable.
> as this problems have nothing to do with my patch they are not
> corrected in the diff, so beware if you try to compile.

yes, this is really a bit of a problem. The build  system is extremely
messy. Also, the version in CVS is not the same as test8.

I applied it to test8 too, but there are some additional changes
in u_main.tk which make this a bit  problematic.

Hope we can sort all of this out afer ICMC.

Guenter