[PD-dev] how to maintain "main" 0.38 and 0.39 branches together?

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Nov 8 01:04:15 CET 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:
>
> > I'm almost ready to stop banging on 0.38, because the changes that seem most
> > urgent now are of a sort that will break a lot of stuff (updating various
> > audio and MIDI interfaces, for instance!)
> >
> > I think therefore that I should make a 0.38-main branch, so that I can continue
> > to apply "safe" bug fixes to it while I apply the unsafe ones to "main" for
> > incorporation into 0.39.
> >
> > This way, eventually, we/d have 0.38-main, 0.39-main, etc, branches, along
> > with the current "main" branch which would be perpetually on the path to the
> > next release...
> >
> > Does this sould like a good structure?
>
> I think, yes. I just discovered the "CVS Best Practices" document at
> http://www.magic-cauldron.com/ which also recommends something like
> this at:
> http://www.magic-cauldron.com/cm/cvs-bestpractices/index.html#section1-branchmerge
>
> I only wonder, if "main-0.38" would be a better name than "0.38-main",
> because that would be more in sync with the naming for "devel_0.37"
> and would allow an easy alphabetic sorting by branch type. However
> "0.38-main" and "0.38-devel" would allow sorting by development
> status ...

I vote for calling it main_0.38 (or better stable_0.38 as opposed to
devel_0.38).
I will try to write down a small document about the "development model"
that is in place. What we have currently is some sort of mixture between
the standard CVS approach and the linux kernel, which is also developed
through patches. Last but not least, we can always rethink the strategy
if something does not work they way we want.

Guenter