[PD-dev] how to maintain "main" 0.38 and 0.39 branches together?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Nov 8 22:08:40 CET 2004

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Ok, this is inspired by the best practices document:
probably i should read it.
i'll write this letter first.

> Branches:
>  MAIN                   where Miller maintains his development work on
> the core
>  release_0_38_patches   created after each completed release for  bugfixes
>  devel_0_38             created after each completed release for Pd
> community work
>

> Tags:
>  release_0_38           tagged with each release, before
> release_*_*_patches is created
>  build_0_39_yyyymmdd    tagged with each test release

i do not understand why we would need release_X_YY *tag*s and
release_X_YY_patches *branch*es.

the idea of the branch is to get bugfixes in.
so i would vote to not tag the release but branch it.
bugfixes go into that branch.
probably no one is interested in the release *with* bugs.

one would get the stable version (including all fixed bugs) by checking
out the tip of the "release_X_YY"-branch.

as for the build_X_YY_yyyymmdd-tags i am not sure either.
one can easily check out a branch at a certain date.

as for test-releases, why not keep the habit of naming it test ?
like "test_0_39_01"
this would most likely be a tag.

 > Ideally, there would be regular (nightly/weekly) autobuilds so that
 > people working on one platform would know when the broke something on
> another platform.  Also, this would eliminate the work that goes into
> making test releases.  This is a key reason why I have been working on
> automating builds.  And we are not far from being able to do this.

this is ok, but i don't know whether we have to tag for that.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes