[PD-dev] how to maintain "main" 0.38 and 0.39 branches together?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Nov 8 22:22:30 CET 2004

Hallo,
guenter geiger hat gesagt: // guenter geiger wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > I still vote for "main" in whatever combination with numbers and
> > unspeakable letters...
>
> I think calling a branch "main.." might lead to confusion with
> the main trunk. Thats why I would call it the  "stable.." branch.

I don't stick to "main", "msp" would also be okay, although "main" is
more appropriate IMO. But I have a slight problem with "stable".
"stable" should only be used after a release. Similar to the way,
Debian handles the name "stable", for *the* version to rely on, if you
need reliability.

I actually like what Hans proposed in his "best practice" mail: Have
"release_x" branches, and release candidates branches (which is the
state, 0.38 is currently in).

Ciao