[PD-dev] how to maintain "main" 0.38 and 0.39 branches together?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Nov 8 22:53:09 CET 2004

I think you should read that first, then post.  None of us here is CVS
experts, so we should learn from the experts first, then try to decide
how to apply it to Pd.  This proposal was my attempt at digesting the
"best practices" and applying to Pd.  As for the branch and tag names,
I think we should use the standard names, unless we have a good reason
not to.

.hc

On Nov 8, 2004, at 4:08 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Ok, this is inspired by the best practices document:
> probably i should read it.
> i'll write this letter first.

>> Branches:
>>  MAIN                   where Miller maintains his development work
>> on  the core
>>  release_0_38_patches   created after each completed release for
>> bugfixes
>>  devel_0_38             created after each completed release for Pd
>> community work
>> Tags:
>>  release_0_38           tagged with each release, before
>> release_*_*_patches is created
>>  build_0_39_yyyymmdd    tagged with each test release
>
> i do not understand why we would need release_X_YY *tag*s and
> release_X_YY_patches *branch*es.
>

> the idea of the branch is to get bugfixes in.
> so i would vote to not tag the release but branch it.
> bugfixes go into that branch.
> probably no one is interested in the release *with* bugs.
>
> one would get the stable version (including all fixed bugs) by
> checking out the tip of the "release_X_YY"-branch.
>
> as for the build_X_YY_yyyymmdd-tags i am not sure either.
> one can easily check out a branch at a certain date.
>
> as for test-releases, why not keep the habit of naming it test ?
> like "test_0_39_01"
> this would most likely be a tag.
>
> > Ideally, there would be regular (nightly/weekly) autobuilds so that
> > people working on one platform would know when the broke something on
>> another platform.  Also, this would eliminate the work that goes into
>>  making test releases.  This is a key reason why I have been working
>> on  automating builds.  And we are not far from being able to do
>> this.
>
> this is ok, but i don't know whether we have to tag for that.
>

> mfg.asd.r
> IOhannes

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice, it
can change entire economies."

     - Amy Smith