[PD-dev] nameclashes

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Nov 8 23:01:10 CET 2004

On Nov 8, 2004, at 4:13 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> So are we in agreement that the directory-based namespace is the way
>> to  go, as long as the *-help.pd patch problems are fixed?
> right.
> and imitate that namespace for libraries.
>
> but what about objects that include "/"
> (it is not the most uncommon character i can think of)
> (but of course the only one that stays compatible with directories)
>

>>  I would love to  put this matter to rest.
>
> me too.
> but still i can't remember what the "*-help.pd patch problems" are.
> i like it, that there are both help-*.pd and *-help.pd
> for instance with Gem i bundle all the help-patches in another
> directory (there are really a lot of them) and i like it that they are
> just "help-Gem/gemwin.pd" instead of "Gem/gemwin-help.pd" (this made
> it very easy to port from the pre-0.37 aera: just renaming a single
> directory instead of all objects.)

Actually, I think that we should try to stick to the "*-help.pd" as the
standard because it allows you to easily alphabetize the help files,
and also scan the filenames.  With the hierarchical Help menu that I
made, this makes a huge difference.  But it would be fine to use the
"help-*" format with a directory, like you did with Gem, since the
individual help files would start with the name, rather than "help-"

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams