[PD-dev] Re: namecrash

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 9 17:39:25 CET 2004

On Nov 8, 2004, at 5:25 PM, ix wrote:

>>> build_0_39_yyyymmdd    tagged with each
>> as for the build_X_YY_yyyymmdd-tags i am not sure either
>
> have you got a 27B-Stroke-6 sir? we can't tag without it...
>
> i apologiZe for not knowing much C, but is there a way to easily load
> a symbol (like bluh_setup) under another name?
> right now my patches are impossible to share without giving a rapidly
> growing list of things like:
>
> * use my shell external, which happens to have the same name as the
> one in CVS
> * use the 'tgrill'-prepend because the CVS-default doesnt have a right
> inlet
> * finr/replace in normal prepend to 'makelist' and recompile because
> tgrill version cant 'prepend list' to a list
> * use devel_037 beacuse objectnaming broke the GUI stuff in 038
> * make sure you have a dir /s with various sed scripts in it snce you
> cant enter backslashes in pd..
> * make sure you switch to 10pt tahoma or stuff will overlap weird
> * make sure you have GNU utils installed an in your PATH on windows
>
> (sorry for this, i may need to refer to archive if i format hd or
> something)
>
> most pressional apps seem to support a 'total recall', keeping all
> these particularities stored in the project/patch file...
>
> or you could take a cue from microsoft and cxc prepend would be
> assigned a CLSID of {3050f3B3-98b5-11cf-bb82-00aa00bdce0b}, and pd
> could just check the master big-brother server to make sure you have
> the proper version :D

It every Pd user has their own custom setup, then patches will never be
easily sharable.  This the reason why Guenter, I, and others are
working making a "standard" Pd distro.  Then it truly becomes a
platform to develop on, rather than everything being specific to one
person.  This is, of course, not without its sacrifices, but well worth
it.

And those who want to are always free to build their own custom distro
however they see fit.  But I think everyone will be better off if we
can work towards a common platform.  Imagine programming C without a
standard libc...

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
								-David Zicarelli