[PD-dev] resampling patch 0.38test8

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 10 14:06:20 CET 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> > Ok, what I found out is, that, different as in earlier versions, Pd cannot
> > handle more than one spaces between flags.
> > pd -lib blabla -lib bloblo is ok, but
> > pd -lib blabla       -lib bloblo will not work.
> I wonder: Couldn't Pd use some of the many standard option handling
> libraries like GNU getopt?

I haven't tried GNU getopt but I must say that I'd favour a more
table-oriented system of options in general. For example, the pdrc editor
of impd_0_37 uses a list-of-lists in Tcl in which each row is a
(name,type,comment) triple. Even though that part of the code is
essentially dead, the concept may be recycled to handle the commandline
options. What is missing is a callback field so that each detected option
can trigger a particular piece of code. This may be cumbersome to do in C,
but if we use Pd messages instead of function-pointers, then we get the
reward that all (or most) commandline options would be runtime-settable.
Imagine this kind of global message:

	[; pd path /home/dude/pd-patches (

But prolly (for a start) that many of those methods would only be
guaranteed to work at load-time. "path" would be one of those available
all of the time.

(I recall making that kind of suggestion in Graz, prolly during the impd
talk)