[PD-dev] saving preset pools in the parent path, rather than the abstraction path?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Nov 12 00:21:11 CET 2004

Hallo,

> Absolute paths are a real hardship when it comes to making portable,
> cross-platform patches.  Anyone know what needs to be done so that we
> can use relative paths everywhere in Pd?

In RRADical, I let the user choose the file as an absolute path from
the toplevel abstraction. Maybe I expressed myself a bit wrongly:
Relative paths are fine *inside* abstractions, because abstractions
actually have a known location in the filesystem called "." whereas if
you use an abstraction inside another patch (the parent) it is not
possible for the abstraction to know the path of that parent without
hacks.

I also think, that in the interest of encapsulation childs shouldn't
have to know their parent's path. If you need to know the path of a
parent, then you should make that explicit and provide an inlet or a
method for it. This method can deal with absolute paths very easily.
In RRADical, the "FILE" button of "careGUI" is such a method.

To be able to use relative paths everywhere, we would need to have a
Pd filesystem standard as reference. I don't see that coming soon or
ever.

Ciao