[PD-dev] saving preset pools in the parent path, rather than the abstraction path?

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Nov 12 10:24:15 CET 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> I'm sure, this is possible, for example also with "shell" and basename
> etc. I'd rather like to discuss, if having to know the parent path
> generally is needed, if it's a sign of a design error in a patch or if
> it's a design error in Pd, not to provide this funcionality?
> It's a very interesting question, which comes up regularily here.

I didn't give this too much thought, but I have the feeling that
the current behaviour of abstractions, which is to use paths
relative to where the abstraction is, is not the right thing to do.

Shouldn't all abstractions use paths that are relative to the
main patch ? (e.g the one that was opened with "open").

I mean, the externals don't use the directory they are stored in
(/usr/lib/pd/extra or whatever) as default path. They use the
patches directory. Generally abstractions and externals should behave
the same IMO.

Guenter