[PD-dev] saving preset pools in the parent path, rather than the abstraction path?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Nov 12 21:33:00 CET 2004

Hallo,
B. Bogart hat gesagt: // B. Bogart wrote:

> The relationship between two word files and a PD patch and preset
> file are completely different. The preset file alters the behavior
> of the PD patch (one word document alters nothing in a second). A
> preset file is to a patch more like a word Macro is to a word file.
> The macro *could* be used outside the word document it was attached
> to, but its perdominate use is in the context within it was created.
> Macros are actually saved inside of word files. (hence so many virus
> problems!) The preset file is most useful in the patch from which
> the states were taken. Presets are so closesly aligned to the
> parent(main) patch it makes sense that the preset file would be
> stored near/next to it.

I don't see it this way. To me, the preset file is very similar to a
Word doc or a Midi file. I see it as one score to be played by one
patch, but not the only one. At least that's what I'm trying the
presets files to be in the end.

However:

> That being said it is true that we're only talking about an extra
> step in choosing the state file. The only reason I'm finding this
> one difficult to accept in pixelTANGO is that I worry about other
> such steps getting in the way of the user actually making something
> with the patch.
>
> Indeed it would be too restrictive to make it the only way to save a
> state, BUT as an other way of saving states it does not take away
> any flexibilty since the method can be changed.
>
> As for pixelTANGO what if the preset manager pt.presets (a wrapper
> for caretaker) makes a guess as to a "suggested" file name (using
> guenter's pwd for example) for presets. The user can either change
> the name or just leave it as the default and choose to load it (no
> automatic loading).

I also don't see that much of a problem with automatic loading when
done in another abstraction like pt.presets. A wrapper is a very good
idea here. It would just be another kind of [caretaker] but that's
encouraged: there already are several different caretakers in the CVS
and adding another one which matches your or someone elses needs is
very useful and welcome.

RRADical is not intended (just) to be a static collection of
abstractions, but also as a library (or a way of life).

Ciao