[PD-dev] re: branch convergence

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 15 07:44:13 CET 2004

Sorry for the delay.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, guenter geiger wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Matju wrote:
> > linking). This way, when devel binaries are published, the new gui will be
> > a command-line option away.
> Hi,
> Although I might sound a bit repetitive, the devel branch is not meant to
> be published.

One question... what's "pd extended" ?

Besides, Pd was also not intended to be a clone of MAX, and yet people use
it a lot like that, and then Pd was also not meant to do video processing,
and yet people use it for that. (and so on)

What I mean is that if ever there's a significant incentive to publish
binaries of the devel branch, then it will happen. (it may also happen if
one mistakenly believe that there is an incentive, but, whatever.) Maybe
everything will go well, but if some of my patches are rejected for
whatever reason, be it for lack of time, lack of understanding, or lack of
agreement, I don't see why I'd have to wait in line forever.

That said, I will attempt to collaborate, but I'm not completely sure that
submitting patches and applying them in scrambled order is a system that
will survive long. The chance of interpatch conflict increases as the
number of patches increase and that their spread factor is big (some
patches modify 5 files or more, and not necessarily because the fix is
lousy and made without care for diffing: sometimes you just _have_ to
modify 5 files)

> There is a webpage on sourceforge where you can submit patches (check
> out http://pure-data.sf.net/bug-report.php).

I don't know why features should be added on a page called bug-report.php;
it's not a showstopper, but frankly, the name of the page is
counter-intuitive. I wouldn't have looked there. The menu says "Bugs,
Patches, FR", but seriously, "Patches" already has a strong, different
meaning in the Pd world, which is confusing, and then FR doesn't look like
a familiar abbreviation at all.

BTW, how normal is it to call "bug fix" what is really an added feature?
And then how arrogant is it?

> Its really easy. Submitting a patch is just one click away.

No, it's more of a matter of duplicating the work done by CVS, but a bit
more manually, and then figuring out dependencies and conflicts with all
other patches that have been applied since the beginning of the branch (or
of the last major checkpoint). The "click away" is just the last easy
step.

Btw, if I'm supposed to keep a few dozen .diff files around for submission
and also the .diff's of other people to check for potential conflicts, how
is CVS supposed to be useful to us at all?