[PD-dev] autorepeat with [key], [keyup], and [keyname]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 28 01:56:37 CET 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> How then can you detect a key being held down in X?  I mean it would
> be possible by tracking the auto-repeated values, but that seems
> needlessly complicated.

There is a way to turn off autorepeat for all keys (xset r off) or on a
key-by-key basis (eg: xset -r 42)

But that is a global setting for the xserver, it's not on a
window-per-window basis.

The only way to make it local is to register for Enter/Leave events and
change the key settings every time and keep a backup of the default
settings.

This is AFAIK. I've read the X11 spec a few years ago; I may have
forgotten some segments of it.