[PD-dev] PD patches in XML

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Fri Dec 10 18:50:54 CET 2004

Ian Smith-Heisters wrote:
> On a side note, something like this, or improvements along these lines,
> I think would greatly improve the ability to do dynamic patching. Right
> now it's difficult to do connects with messages because I have no idea
> what number each object is. (Or maybe there's a more straightforward
> solution to this particular issue?)

I once wrote a max external (world) that would output its pointer, which
other dynamically created externals (agents) could then use to directly
access the world storage. (Then the world object would display the
agents). Straightforward but behind the scenes.

Using the object's pointer as its ID would be useful this way. Also we
talked about this a while ago as the meaning of $0 in a message, so that
sending [$0( to an object wuld cause it to output its pointer.

Martin