[PD-dev] PD patches in XML

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 11 00:09:38 CET 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Thomas Grill wrote:

> something like GUIDs would be great, but i think they should be
> somehow readable (not Microsoft-like). What about a running index per
> patcher, that is incremented every time an object is created?

That's my idea. It can be either a new number each time, or the smallest
integer that is not currently used.

> Or a date/time/microtime combination?

Why?

> For me the integration into the PD file format is not important since
> there's no real place for other metadata either.

I proposed a #S directive for skipping id's, supposing they still get
assigned starting at 0, and they are still incremented at every object
construction, and #S takes care of telling where the gaps are. This is
only a small (incompatible) addition to the .pd format, but it would make
.pd files diffable and patchable (really).

> A discussion about a general XML format is really appreciated.

Why?