[PD-dev] PD patches in XML

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 11 00:32:39 CET 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Martin Peach wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Martin Peach wrote:
> >>Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> When an object is deleted, maybe it could be replaced with a null
> object? At the moment if I insert a line like: #X obj; pd crashes (on
> Windows at least). I think pd could be made more robust at the same
> time by using null objects as placeholders.

Yeah, crashes here as well. I tried empty comments, which turn into
"comment" upon loading, and i tried backslash space comments, which turn
into empty comments upon saving. No other ideas.

> LUIDs would need an extra field in the .pd format line, (maybe use
> #X12345678 instead of #X) so it's not backwards compatible (maybe after
> the semicolon(?)).

Pd patches are free-form, so the semicolon is the true terminator, and
newlines only count as regular whitespace. A newline is not required after
the semicolon.

> Another LUID could identify each patcher, so objects in one patcher
> could target objects in another.

Why? there is already [s] and [r], there is already send-symbols and
receive-symbols that make things more complicated, and then you'd enjoy
making connections between objects _across_ patchers ??

> Finally a GUID would be reserved for 'published' objects that were
> registered,  say at the pd-iem site or sourceforge, so that a patcher
> would always use the correct objects even (the nightmare scenario ;() if
> every pd object had the same name.

I think it would be important to distinguish clearly between "object" and
"class" before starting to talk on that kind of topic.