[PD-dev] PD patches in XML

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Wed Dec 15 17:51:00 CET 2004

Hallo!

> <nbx ID="nbx1"/>
> <obj ID="obj1">print
>  <connect>
>   <from ID="nbx1"/>
>  </connect>
> </obj>

But in this bottom-up approach the number box of this example must be
created before the print ! (as we spoke about yeterday)
So you can't simple put the objects on the empty canvas and then connect
them (of course you can do that too, but i think this is more complicated ?)

> <connect inlet="3">
>  <from ID="obj1" outlet="1">
>  <from ID="obj2" outlet="0">
> </connect>
> looks somewhat ok to me (although i am not sure whether it is bad style
> to have an "ID"-argument that is a reference rather than the id of the
> connection.
what about name ? :
<connect inlet="3">
  <from name="obj1" outlet="1">
  <from name="obj2" outlet="0">
</connect>

> and this reminds me, that probably connections really should have an id,
> so you could e.g. delete them directly (like "dyn")
like this:
<nbx ID="nbx1"/>
<obj ID="obj1">print
  <connect ID="blabla" inlet="0">
   <from ID="nbx1" outlet="0"/>
  </connect>
</obj>

but which advantages has this approach? You could also go to the object
and delete the connection (and in the bottom-up style the object would
be the one under the connection).
And if you give labels to the connections you also have to remeber these
if you are writing a patch in an editor (so that you don't use one label
multiple times).

LG
Georg