[PD-dev] extra reorg idea

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Dec 17 04:07:27 CET 2004

I'd like to propose an idea for organizing all of the objects, instead
of placing everything directly in "extra" and "doc/5.reference".
Everything that is aimed to be a standard part of Pd would go in
"extra" and "5.reference". Then objects that have conflicted names,
objects that are deprecated, or cyclone/Max-compatibility objects would
go into their own folders.  When someone wants to use these objects,
they can add then directories using -path and -helppath.

Here's an outline:

- "cyclone" objects that are only for Max compatibility ([Borax~],
[coll], [mousefilter], etc.)  T

- For name conflicts, there would be library-specific folders:
	- "gem" [counter], [scale], [average], [change]
	- "cxc" [prepend], [counter], [split]
	- "iem" [gate], [prepend], [speedlim]
	- "maxlib" [speedlim], [borax], [scale], [split]

- "deprecated" would be for deprecated objects, like [linuxjoystick],
etc.
	- there could be subdirectories for specific things like "Gem"

I think this layout would solve a number of problems, and be relatively
easy to implement.

____

"Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope."
                                                      -Edsger Dykstra