[PD-dev] PD patches in XML

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Dec 18 07:43:28 CET 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 6:53 AM, Johannes M Zmoelnig wrote:

> Krzysztof Czaja wrote:
>> hi all,
>> I find it hard to give up the basic Pd principle that everything
>> may be controlled with messages.  I wonder, if there is any real
>> technical reason for abandoning message-based handling of object
>
> i guess there is no technical reason.
> you are right, that the simplicity of pd's internal format is one of
> its strengths which need not unneccessarrilly be abandoned.
>
>> state (including visual properties, IDs, whatever), apart from the
>
> but i think it is important that we separate between visual properties
> and functional behaviour.
> for an example, the iemguis store a lot of gui-information in a long
> long list of arguments. i think this is bad style, but it is not
> thomas' fault as this is the way how it works: one object is entirely
> representated by one message.
> the problem with this is that you cannot expand it (just have a look
> at the evolution of the arguments of the iemgui's)

There was some discussion of trying to implement iemguis and
unauthorized guis using data structures.  Frank has already implemented
sliders and a [grid]-style object.  It seems to me that this would be
the ultimate way to handle this in a native Pd way.

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
								-David Zicarelli