[PD-dev] extra reorg idea

Johannes M Zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 20 09:34:20 CET 2004

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I am not thinking at all about libraries because I think that externals
> should be distributed as individual objects, and I plan on making that

yes, i know that, so that is why i have written point-2 (with "i guess
that is what you are talking about")

> One thing that I forgot to mention (which you did mention) is that you
> could also use the namespace to access these objects without adding
> anything to the path.  For example, to use a deprecated object you
> would  do this:
>
> [deprecated/linuxjoystick /dev/input/event2]
>
> So putting "../extra/deprecated" in the path would only be for porting
> the patch.  Though this is much less necessary now that 0.38 will
> maintain the connections when an object can't be found.

there i just one thing i want to point at (and this is somewhat
important to me, an _please_ do not shrug off my problems with "you are
the only one who needs this, so we should stop this discussion" as i
have the feeling with my rc-file requirements everytime it comes to this
;-)): please do not rely on the "-path" command-line flag.
there are (certainly) a lot of situations where you can neither edit
BAT-files nor rc-files for your need. (i mean, as a packager who does
not know the exact layout of the end-user's system)

just to reinforce my point of view.

and upgrading with the -path options seems tolerable to me.
although i don't think that the connection-maintainance of 0.38
substitutes this: i mean, when you open your patch for the sole purpose
of upgrading then it is surely ok, but most probably people would just
keep their old patches running...

mfg..asdr
IOhannes