[PD-dev] Re: is namecanvas obsolete or not?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Dec 30 20:35:36 CET 2004

Hallo,
Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> Right, I'm rofgetting, the "pd $0-x" ends up naming the canvas "pd-$0-x"
> which is hard to generate as a symbol.

True, but it's possible, however then we have the other problem:
Sending to this target only works with either a set-able send or
message sends like: [; $1 $2 $3 $4 ...( where $1 is created to be
"pd-$0-x". The problem is: The argument count must be known in
advance, which is not always possible in dynamic patching.

A solution could be $* in messages. Or, heresy!, let $0 work if it's
not at the start of a symbol.

Ciao