[PD-dev] PDP: How to modify packets in pdp_v4l_bang?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jan 4 17:58:27 CET 2005

Hi,

I almost have ov519 cameras working in PDP now, but sucking really
really badly at C (P-languages spoiled me) I don't understand several
things yet and so I desperatly need some help/explanations. I'm soooo
close to have the cam working, it's just a little bit of pushing in
the right directions needed, I guess.

I even have difficulties finding the right quesitons to ask.

Well, for one: I don't really understand the role of the "newimage"
pointer in pdp_v4l_bang(): It is set two times, once as:

  /* get the address of the "other" frame */
  newimage = x->x_videobuf +  x->x_vmbuf.offsets[x->x_last_frame];

then later is is set again without ever being used inbetween:

  newimage = x->x_videobuf + x->x_vmbuf.offsets[x->x_frame ^ 0x1];

However if I comment out the first assignement, PDP doesn't work
right anymore, so I suppose, it is used somehow in between. Could
someone explain to me, where, how, and why?

Second Question:

To decompress video data delivered in JPEG, am I right in guessing,
that I have to change the content of newimage's data after it is set
the second time in pdp_v4l_bang? (BTW: I currently get the same
results visually, whereever I change newimage.)

At least I found out, that newimage carries the compressed data.
Sending "newimage" into the jpeg decompression as input to the "source
manager" of jpeglib at least gives "something". However I think, I
don't really get where to put and where to get the image data,
probably because I don't really understand the double buffering
correctly, ah, no.

Well, the latest code gives a full picture, mostly even without JPEG
decompression errors, however the images is jumping left and right and
also is in "vertical splitscreen" mode, that is, it is split in half
and two half-pictures are laid out next to each other. The frontier is
moving. I would like to do a screenshot, but I cannot get "import" or
any other tool to grab the framebuffer-screen.

Ciao