[PD] Re: [PD-dev] API documentation

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Thu Jan 13 10:00:47 CET 2005

Switched to PD-Dev, since posting to pd-list initially was a mistake.

> while it provides a quite complete and well to navigate source documentation it lacks a bit in visual elegance (yes: good looking matters  :-)

There's support for custom CSS, which I'll do up all nice looking.

> what speaks for headerdoc is that it only requires you to edit the
> header files: .c files remain small.

Doxygen could easily be configured to only look at .h files.

> the APSL is ok. (especially as we do not seek to distribute the software
> - we just run it). but it is a problem that headerdoc seems to be
> mac-only (maybe just a matter of compiling it for linux).

when all else is equal, I'll go for the GPL just out of superstition

> some wikis propose that you generate a new entry when no entry for a
> specific name is found, so maybe we just need to link to a specific page
> for every name and have a fallback when the page does not exist.

This is what I'm hoping. If not I could write a perl script to create a
new wiki page for each entry we need, but I think the wiki would
automatically do it. A quick experiment with my school's wiki (tiki I
think) shows that this is indeed the case :)

Best,
Ian