[PD-dev] Re: [PD] trying to make devel_0_38

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jan 20 21:35:20 CET 2005

Tim Blechmann wrote:

> well ... i was experiencing random segfaults when allocating large areas
> of memory in a helper thread ... (threaded soundfiler)

yes, i guess that the problems are very different (although both are
somehow related to the page locking)
anyhow, that's why i wanted to test devel_0_38, just to see whether
things have improved.

btw, is there a possibility to check, whether page locking has been
enabled by an application ?

> still ... saying that devel_ is evil and stable_ is good ... that
> doesn't really improve things ...

i never said this.
i consider stable as stable and devel as experimental; both have pros
and cons. it is just that when working "professionally" with an
application, it is often good, to have a reliable stable version to use.

and then my pun is rather about devil than evil.

> the thing that you reported this to me today, and the autobuild system
> is few monthes old, tells me that too little people are using devel_.
> and most devel_ users are on linux ...

definitely (and sadly) true.
it seems, that you and thomas g. are the only ones.

> i even think that providing precompiled releases of devel_ from time to
> time would improve the user feedback ...

depends; i tend to think that devel is meant for2 devel'opers.
(but probably, stable is meant for horses)

> cheers ... tim

cheer up

mfg.a.dsr
IOhannes