[PD-dev] deprecating "edit-mode"

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jan 27 09:27:07 CET 2005

carmen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 12:20:57PM +0100, Krzysztof Czaja wrote:
>
>>hi carmen,
>>
>>have not found any good solution yet, still trying...
>

> just removed 'edit' mode in my version, in favor of making 'edit-mode' the default while renaming non-edit-mode to 'lock patch' - even among similar apps, Bidule/Reaktor/VVVV get along fine without seperate modes, not to mention my text editor, paint program, etc.. the only programs i can think of with 'edit-mode' forced upon the user are vi and Max/MSP, neither of which i pretend to like in the Usability dept..

oh, no!

flames for modes vs modeless !

personally, i feel at home in pd's modes, so i would not want to change
that.

all programming languages i know are mode-based (edit/compile/run or
edit/run), so i would not go too much for WordPerfect or PhotoShop ...

(and for the usual flames: i prefer both vi and emacs)

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes