[PD-dev] deprecating "edit-mode"

carmen ix at replic.net
Thu Jan 27 10:24:02 CET 2005

> flames for modes vs modeless !

definitely didnt mean to start flame wars here...theres no question you can do some serious edit-fu with vi once you figure it out ..

> personally, i feel at home in pd's modes, so i would not want to change
> that.

i never considered it until creating widgets that behave the same in either 'mode' and realized it would take extra effort to make them behave different..so its mostly laziness on my part..anyways solved it by:
foreach p [info procs] {if {[regexp -- .*-edit-1 $p] == 1} {eval $p}}

so i guess searching thru global proc list is ugly but it works for switching widget bindings back to motion stuff during edit mode.. but if the main purpose behind edit mode is just this, it can be handled transparently enough without any modes,.ie: select/blue-highlight for move, deselect for number action..

> all programming languages i know are mode-based (edit/compile/run or

avoiding edit(Crazy syntax)/compile/run is why i prefer PD!!