[PD-dev] updating pd.app .38-2 to tcl/tk 8.4.9

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Mon Jan 31 19:09:03 CET 2005

Hey all,

How do I update the tcl/tk version in the pd.app .38-2 to tcl8.4.9?

I've replaced the frameworks folders with the 8.4.9 versions,

then ./configure

./configure cannot find tk but seems to see tcl8.4 (it seems to be looking
somewhere non OSX, like in /usr/local and not /library/frameworks.

If I compile anyway it seems to work largely, except the resultant pd binary
does not work as I expect.

If I run the binary from terminal in bin/ then it works fine, but if I copy the
binary to pd.app/Contents/MacOS/Pd and then run from terminal I get:

Error in startup script: couldn't read file "../bin/pd.tk": no such file or
directory.

and sticks there.

If I double-click on the Pd.app PD does not start, but I get a list of PD flags
in the osx console window. (pd -help) and then quits.

If I double click on the Pd binary in Contents/MacOS then the same thing happens
as when running the binary from terminal in this directory. (the error comes up
in a new terminal window)

Finally to get PD to load I need to double-click on the binary in Resources/bin/
. I get a new terminal window printing out some MIDI driver stuff, and poof the
pd window comes up. It is using the new version of tcl/tk apparently, since I
get anti aliasing on the patcher. Somewhere along this process the PD icon has
disappeared from the pd.app (back to the default application icon)

So after the story the questions are:

1. How to I make double-clicking on the pd.app load PD properly?
2. What is the proper procedure to generate a pd.app with a newer tcl/tk
version? (I followed Miller's notes to Jamie from 38 test 4 but this is as far I
got)
3. How can I make sure that this pd.app is self-contained and does not depend on
a version of tcl/tk installed on the machine?

In case anyone wants to know I'm upgrading to 8.4.9 so that I can use the pd.app
with a version of tcl/tk that supports anti-aliasing in the patcher. (which
makes small type (eg 8 pt) readable.) I'm setting "tk::mac::CGAntialiasLimit 0"
in pd.tk to make all lines anti-aliased.

Which I think makes PD look amazing on OSX, and I would love to see it the
standard PD look on OSX. I'll attach screen shots of the difference if anyone
wants to see.

Thanks
Ben