[PD-dev] sys_sleepgrain

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Sat Feb 5 23:56:08 CET 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Thomas Grill wrote:
> Hi all,
> i just noticed that in m_sched.c the value of sys_sleepgrain is always the
> same (5000 = 5ms), no matter which amount of latency i specified in the
> audio settings. This seems to be that way because the value of
> sys_sleepgrain is initialized when the scheduler is started and is not
> updated afterwards. Could be the cause of some latency-related troubles, or
> am i overlooking something?

Looks like a bug. I never fully understood the usage of sleep
in the pd scheduler, because sleep timer resolution is never smaller than
10 ms under Linux. Thats why pd under linux always did blocking
read/writes, using the soundcard as a timer.

Not sure if this is still true and how the timers on other operating
systems behave, but if they behave similar then it doesn't matter if
you set the the sleepgrain to 1 or 5 ms, it will always sleep 10.

Guenter