[PD-dev] definitely check out miller 0.38-test4!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Feb 9 02:10:49 CET 2005

I cc'ed pd-dev since others might be interested...

Where can I get your PGP key?  I haven't found it and I get an error
every time I read one of your emails.

On Feb 7, 2005, at 3:59 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> The whole pd.app thing still has me very confused.
>
> Hans, are you using tcl/tk 8.4.9 in your installer? Perhaps I should
> use this as the basis of the pixelTANGO stand-alone rather than
> millers 0.38-2.

The last .app I put out was directly based on Millers, so it used the
same version of Tcl/Tk as his.  I haven't played with compiled Pd.app
with other Tcl/Tk versions.  I plan on working on a new version of
Pd.app in about a month, once I get past all of my February deadlines.
But instead of making a separate pixelTANGO .app, I think we should
work to getting pixelTANGO as part of the .app build system, so its
part of the CVS build.

> (Hans, it seems the at.or.at domain is currently down)

Its back.  (D'oh!  forgot to pay the bills)

> Ok I've checked out the packages .app assembler.
>
> I had to edit the makefile to point at my pd sources.
> (please note that in the "patches" section the files to patch are not
> called via the PD_FILE_ROOT variable. Also I had to put absolute
> pathnames on the patch files for the makefile to find them.)
>
> I removed the --enable jack part but now the compile fails at linking,
> still looking for the jack symbols. I can't find any reference to jack
> being linked in the makefile. How can I disable jack?
>
> I think I'm getting closer... slowly...
>
> I would really like to get a pd.app using tcl/tk 8.4.9 working!!! It
> should not be so difficult. :( the .app thing sure makes it easier for
> users, but damn a developer headache.
>
> For pixelTANGO.app I've decided I'm going to do something like:
>
> /Applications/pixelTANGO/PD.app
> /Applications/pixelTANGO/PD.app/[.app crap in here]
> /Applications/pixelTANGO/extra [links to the one inside .app]
> /Applications/pixelTANGO/help [ditto]
> /Applications/pixelTANGO/fonts [ditto]
> /Applications/pixelTANGO/models [ditto]
> /Applications/pixelTANGO/abstractions [ditto]
>
> I see three options in the future for installers
>
> 1. all the pixelTANGO stuff ends up working in hans's installer

Yea!  One common Pd platform please!  But I think it can hardly be
called "Hans' installer" anymore, a number of other people have
contributed substantially to it, including Gerard Roma and Miller
Puckette.

AFAIK, pixelTANGO is a collection of Pd patches, so it should
definitely be not too difficult to incorporate into the CVS build
system.

.hc