[PD-dev] definitely check out miller 0.38-test4!

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Thu Feb 10 01:33:42 CET 2005

Hi Hans,

 > The last .app I put out was directly based on Millers, so it used the
 > same version of Tcl/Tk as his.  I haven't played with compiled Pd.app
 > with other Tcl/Tk versions.  I plan on working on a new version of
 > Pd.app in about a month, once I get past all of my February deadlines.
 > But instead of making a separate pixelTANGO .app, I think we should
 > work to getting pixelTANGO as part of the .app build system, so its
 > part of the CVS build.

Ok, Other than the much-more efficient graphics stuff that Jamie put in, and
anti-aliasing I don't think there is a big difference between 8.4.4 and 8.4.9
(though actually when we draw a object box before it becomes an "object", no
name has been entered, the box is drawn with fancy dashed lines, very nice
actually.)

I need a pixelTANGO.app by the start of March to teach a workshop. Other than
this I agree that we should have one installer that includes all major PD
contributions. :)

Ok there are a few things about pixelTANGO that will change the structure of the
pd.app. (for the good I hope). Also I hope the packes for Windows end up the
same so that our user-experience is the same accross platforms. the
/Applications/ subfolder should be folder inside the Pure-Data listing in the
start-menu.

I propose we create a folder in /Applications called Pure-Data. On windows this
folder should be inside the Pure-Data listing in the start-menu. Inside this
folder we have:

Pure-Data.app
abstractions
extra
help
doc
examples

The abstractions folder is either symlink to the abstractions folder inside the
.app, or it could be a second "user-land" abstractions folder for people to dump
in thier own stuff. (stuff not included in the .app) Same options work for the
extra folder. Is there a benifit of exposing the PD-included externals, like
fiddle~, outside of the .app? How should the abstractions be organized? One
giant unweildly list of all abstractions or something more organized? The "help"
folder could be a link to 5.reference. The reason to expose this is so its easy
for the newbie to install help files for abstractions not included in the
installer. Also its handy to take a look at the list of help files to get a
handle on what the objects they can use are. "doc" just points to the
non-interactive documentation (PDF stuff). "examples" points to all the
interactive documentation, for audio and for other libs, like Gem and pixelTANGO
example patches. The new "help" menu will then also automatically grab any new
example patches. I think we need to change the structure of this since the
current structure does not allow external examples to fit in anywhere except the
5.reference folder. Maybe: (Note there are NO numbers prepended)

Control-Examples
Audio-Examples
FFT-Examples
Object-Reference
externs (needed?)
Gem-Examples
PDP-Examples
pixelTANGO-Examples

in addition to these exposed PD folders pixelTANGO also would depend on a couple
others like perhaps:

Pure-Data/pixelTANGO/fonts
Pure-Data/pixelTANGO/models
Pure-Data/pixelTANGO/fx

Would this be a natural place for library-specific directories?

Feedback?

 > Yea!  One common Pd platform please!  But I think it can hardly be
 > called "Hans' installer" anymore, a number of other people have
 > contributed substantially to it, including Gerard Roma and Miller
 > Puckette.
 >
 > AFAIK, pixelTANGO is a collection of Pd patches, so it should
 > definitely be not too difficult to incorporate into the CVS build  system.

I still can't get the .app build system to work... A user-guide that includes
what needs to be where would be amazing... I did not even know that Jack run on
OSX, what is the benifit of using jack on OSX? Can someone suggest how I can use
the .app build without jack? even after removing --enable-jack from the makefile
pd still fails to link due to missing jack symbols.. :(

I figured each of the cvs modules need to put along side one and other for the
.app build to find everything. (including pd next to externals and packages)

As for PGP I'm using enigmail on thunderbird and not looked carefully at it.
What error are you getting? I'll send my key in a private message.

Thanks Hans.
B.