[PD-dev] Re: FRIDAY 25, UTC 17.00 : developers meeting on irc

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 22 05:27:56 CET 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Can you remind me of the IRC address and what's a good client (gaim?)
> ... never tried IRC before.

Some swear by xchat (me) and some swear by ksirc (alex).

In the days when I was using gaim, it only was handling AOL Instant
Messenger (hence the name gaim), so I never tried its IRC mode, so I can't
tell.

Basically, what you need to know:

 * the protocol is called IRC
 * IRC has several networks and ours is called FreeNode
 * FreeNode has several servers. Use "irc.freenode.net" to pick one
   automatically
 * choose a screen name (a "nick") like mpuckette or something
 * join our chatroom with the command: /join #dataflow