[PD-dev] cvs admin question ...

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Wed Mar 2 14:01:16 CET 2005

Hello,

> > > I think there is no reason for thomas to fear (man cvs). The CVS is a
> >
> > i do not know a way to explain fear.
> > but i don't think "man cvs" will help. (nor does "man freedom")
> >
> > > place for collaboration, not a marketplace for externals. If Thomas
> >
> > aren't there projects there that are already read-only for other devs ?
> > why ?
> > what makes tom schouten's approach better (sorry ts that i keep abusing
> > your way of usage: no criticism intended): overwriting any changes made
> > to the CVS via a daily cron-job ?
>
> I think there is nothing better with tom shouten's approach.
> It is a great achievment having Thomas' code directly in CVS,
> but the way it is done could have been better.
>
> Anyhow, who cares,

we care ;-)))

Anyway, there was a solution that there is a main branch in PD, where miller
checks in his version and there is a dev tree as a branch. So Thomas thinks
the same modell is good for his iemlib.

I think its good to have iemlib not just as a forgotten copy in cvs but the
main branch lively patched and growing. And anybody can make branches and
they can be merged in, if it makes sense. If there is another main developer
of iemlib he also get the rights for the main branch. I always thought that
is the way it works on sourceforge. I dont think it makes sense we set up a
own sourceforge project page since everyone is sharing source here.

mfg winfried ritsch

PS: Beside I suspect OpenSource is already a marketing modell and sourceforge
is a marketingplace for that.