[PD-dev] cvs admin question ...

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Mon Mar 7 12:10:01 CET 2005

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> As I understood this, dummies are only to be loaded if "-lib maxmode"
> is used. If A) it does work this way and if B) [date] is such a dummy, then
> we do not have a nameclash. If not A) and B) then Nameclash.

yes, dummies are now loaded only in maxmode, and I think Tim is
using an older cyclone version.  Some of them, those unlikely to
ever be cloned, have names prefixed with "c74."  Others may clash
in maxmode, which is potentially harmful, because cyclone's modes
are global, currently.

There should be a possibility of resolving class names in
abstraction scope, and in a persistent way.  I will try to describe
a simple scheme in a separate posting.

Dummies were introduced for two reasons.  One was preserving
connections of missing objects in imported patches.  Since Pd .38,
this is no longer a valid reason.  The second one was making
inter-platform name clashes explicit.  This is still a valid
reason, but how important it is, who knows...

It all depends on whether computer music people actually want to
have common standards for basic things.

Krzysztof