[PD-dev] just look at these numbers

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Mon Mar 14 21:01:37 CET 2005

hi Ben,

B. Bogart wrote:
> How did you do these tests? I'd very much like to get some OSX
> comparision, considering how much tcl/tk had to be improved (by James
> Tittle II) to make pd usable on OSX.

there is no socket problem on osx (James would agree, I guess).

Although I did use linux for comparison, the purpose of that test
was actually only specific to pd-gui's implementation on windows.
Since it is clear, that it performs very poorly, I am trying to
answer two questions:

1. Is it due to the fact, that windows version polls the socket,
unlike linux and osx versions, which are callback-based?

2. Could this be improved by replacing polling with high-level
callback set with "fileevent ... readable" Tcl command or
Tcl_CreateChannelHandler() call (low-level callbacks are not
available on windows)?

Improving gui performance means making it responsive, stable, and
visually smooth.  Its impact on audio is quite another matter.

I am now pretty sure, that greedy guis, like toxy widgets, are
crippled mostly by polling.  Arrays also suffer, even more badly
(visually), since their updates are queued, and the queue is
served in small chunks triggered by pd getting an ack from the
gui.

Krzysztof