[PD-dev] solution to the "only one config file" issue

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Mar 22 17:15:40 CET 2005

Hey all,

As most of you know I'm very annoyed that I can only have one user-wide
plist file. This is when I'm testing experimental versions of externals
and such, I actually have to rename my plist so that PD does not load
it. Ugly solution.

Anyhow I thought another way of fixing the problem of multiple
configurations would be negative options when starting PD. Say I have an
experimental Gem in ~/libs/ and a stable version in ~/libs/cgc. Assuming
my plist (.pdrc) contains a path for the former then I would start PD
with this in order to load the unstable version:

pd -without-path ~/libs -path ~/libs/cgc -lib Gem

So that we could turn on, and more importantly off, any options in the
plist that we don't want for this run.

Anyhow just an idea.

Maybe there are not that many people out there with 4 different versions
of libs on their machines? (For Gem I have: experimental, cgc, vertex
array, multiple gem-window etc..)

Some kind of configuration manager would also do the job, as would the
ability to switch to a global configuration (plist) file (pd -pdrc
~/mine.plist).

B.