[PD-dev] tcl errors in the PD console... (using dynamic patching from tot directory listing)

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Wed Mar 23 10:40:48 CET 2005

hi Ben,

B. Bogart wrote:
> I'm not sure if this would be considered a real bug, since its so
> bleeding edge and perhaps is not supposed to work at all..
>
> Krzysztof, are the tcl errors happening because I'm running simultaneous
> "query" commands that are being bogged down by the dynamic patching?
> #X msg 63 180 query glob [file join \$2 \$1];
> #X msg 15 77 query file rootname \$1;

tot is not, and never was meant to be a scripting tool.  It is
a simple little hack for talking with the gui, in a gentle manner.

You cannot ever pull more than 4Kb down to pd from pd-gui.  If you
send multiple queries, the responses are appended to an internal
Pd buffer of 4Kb size.  Under heavy load that buffer is bound to
overflow before being served.

Choose any proper scripting external or shell, and replace all
tots.

Besides, even without tots, if the abstractions you expect people
will store in the set-dir directory have open windows and such, it
is begging for trouble sooner or later.  Pd's communication to and
from pd-gui is not robust enough for that kind of things.

Krzysztof