[PD-dev] Re: [PD] VASP future

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 24 18:20:32 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> I have missed that one, I am afraid.  Is it about keeping
> $0-symbols in local hash tables, or about introducing a new
> special syntax?  How a local symbol would be prevented from
> spilling out of local context?

The global symbol-table would deal with:
  1. the unique numbering of symbols based on string comparison
  2. the holding of global variables (array names / receive-symbols)

A "local" symbol-table would deal with:
  1. the holding of "local" variables
  2. that's all

The $-prefixes would really become scope indicators. $0-hello would access
the local table $0 using the t_symbol "hello". This would *not* create a
t_symbol "1000-hello" anymore.

A "local" symbol-table would belong to an abstraction instance (and so, in
OOP vocabulary, would rather be called instance symbol-table, or object
symbol-table). It would be destroyed whenever the abstraction instance is
destroyed.