[PD-dev] Re: symbol tables

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Mon Mar 28 17:38:59 CEST 2005

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> The new way I am now proposing (for the first time) would introduce a new
> atom type, a "pointer to variable", which would contain both a t_symbol*
> and an instance number.

exactly -- local symbols require introducing a new atom type...

so, it would be great, if we started a discussion about extending
Pd type system, and the more generic level it starts on, the
better.  Ideally, the abstract mechanism yet to be proposed, would
allow deriving special cases like gpointers, python object wrappers,
etc.

What bothers me, though, is whether we are not going to find
ourselves hitting the same wall that Miller had good reasons
not to go through, many years ago...

Krzysztof