[PD-dev] Re: [PD] building all external on linux

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 13 09:34:13 CEST 2005

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2005, at 7:48 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
> Actually, the complete headers need to be there.
oh ;-)

> externals/build/include is mostly there for building the debian
> package.  All of the source code for building the externals package
> needs to be included within the 'externals' directory in order for the
> Debian auto-builders to build properly.

i still think that it is stupid to have to maintain 2 separate (but
hopefully identical) versions of 1 file in a repository.
this is error-prone.

if a build system depends on this behaviour, than (imo) there should be
a script (since we are talking about debian we can use standard
bash-scripts or whatever) that makes a local copy of the files from
(say) pd/src to externals/build/include
so the duplication should be on the client machine (because it depends
on it) and not on the server (for convenience reasons)

> The other option would be to make a debian source package for Pd, then
> we could get rid of externals/build/include.

since this sounds perfect to me, i understand even less why it is
handled like it is (but i don't have too much time too)

> I updated the headers with the files from pd-0.38-4 and added a README
> since you aren't the first to make this mistake.  (I made this mistake
> too, I should have written the README then... oh well... ).
right,thanks

> Also, I changed the INCLUDES in linux/makefile, win/makefile, and
> darwin/makefile so that it'll look for the headers in the pd source
> (according to the standard CVS dev layout) before looking in
> externals/build/include.
>
>  From this:
> INCLUDES = -I. -I.. -I../include
>
> to this:
> INCLUDES = -I. -I.. -I../../../pd/src -I../include

but i guess this cannot handle things like creb's extlib_util.h and
zexy.h; (but they can probably handled withthe h-includes (?))

mfg.cw.ser
IOhannes