[PD-dev] Work on "help" menu and help-patch searching spec

ix at replic.net ix at replic.net
Mon Apr 25 00:04:33 CEST 2005

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 05:33:02PM -0400, B. Bogart wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've added a few things to the wiki page:
>
> https://puredata.org/Members/bbogart/PDDocumentationStructure
>
> A crack at:
>
> * spec for the searching of help files.
> * organization of pd "help" pull-down menu.
> * functional catagories for PD externals/objects.
>
> Please take a look and contribute!

looks pretty bureacratic in the sense that that was one of the things i hated about dot.coms... "specs" and such, a few comments:

"""
The PD search system would go through all the -help patches in the helppath and generate a datafile that contains only the filename of the patch and the KEYWORD strings it contains.
"""

im almost always able to find the answer i want by grep -ir whatever doc/ ..how about text-index all the non-binary files in doc/ with a stoplist for stuff like 'obj' 'msg' 'text' etc. for example a theres great patches containing the text 'hanning-window' but this certainly wouldnt have been picked up by only scanning for comments that begin with KEYWORD:. presumably theres more than a few text-indexers on the tcl wiki..

re: the help browser, im not sure if i have the latest, but the "Help" menu is not putting in all the files in doc/, only the 1.x folders, so when 'scons install' copies externals/pmpd/help stuff to /doc/pmpd its not showing up in the menu. this should be an easy fix..

C.