abstractions and objects WAS: Re: [PD-dev] [Fwd: PD-cvs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 5]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Apr 27 16:47:20 CEST 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I think that with Pd it is somewhat misleading. Ideally there should be
> no distinction between Pd objects written in C, C++, python, Tcl, TK,
> and even Pd itself.

Yes, I stress that this is an important concept for me, and I think pretty
much all developers agree. I said something like that at the Pd Convention
as a commentary on someone else's presentation (I don't recall which one),
and I recall that there was a lot of approval about it.

> But I think there should be a separate section for applications,
> performance patches, examples, etc.

A precedent on this is the UNIX filesystem layout, which distinguishes
bin/ and lib/ ... and similarly, the OSX filesystem layout has such a
distinction as well, and so does the Windows one! So I think there's no
reason why we wouldn't do the same... although it's a quirk that many
programming languages have of installing some application files in a
subdir of their lib/ ... anyhow, the general principle is there,
regardless of exceptions: separate libraries and applications.

  `-o-----------------------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |