abstractions and objects WAS: Re: [PD-dev] [Fwd: PD-cvs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 5]

cyrille cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Wed Apr 27 20:45:09 CEST 2005

hello,

B. Bogart a écrit :
> Hey Cyrille,
>
> I have not looked at your abstractions (yet) but I am also amassing a
> collection in pixelTANGO that would be useful in other things.
>
> Are you saying that you don't think your abstractions should be
> available by default? Why not?
no, in fact i just say that the abstraction in nusmuk folder (the one i
comit) sould not necessary be available by default.

> Imagine the new help system where a
> person types a word for something they are looking for, and a match
> comes up for one of your abstractions. The end user should be able to
> use any external/object/abstractions that solves the problem they are
> trying to solve. I think everything possible should be included, as long
> as we are careful with duplicate names & functionality.
that is the point.
i think i just commit personal stuf that certainly be usfull to somes
peoples. but certainly be duplicated (by name or functionality) of other
abstraction that users could have made.

by exemple, my first commit was a granulator abstraction.
there is other granulator abstraction avalable, and i don't say that
mine is better.
so it's nice to have it in the cvs, but i don't thing it's good to have
only one granulation abstraction.

> I think the idea of a user (somehow) finding your abstraction (by
> browsing the directory structure?) and then having to manually add it to
> the path to use it is a totally unneccesary inconvienience.

i personnaly do not add the abstraction i commited in my -path : i know
where they are, and when i nead them i just copy them to the directory
of my project.
it's just in order to be sure to find them when i'll open my project in
few years.
i'm sure that in few years i'll use an other granulation abstraction
what will have a better sound than the one i use now.

so i think the easier is not to have them by default. otherwise, i'll
may change there name to ch_granulator, in order to avoid nameclash with
other users.

cyrille