[PD-dev] alsa midi

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon May 2 00:09:16 CEST 2005

Hallo,
Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> I think it would be wise to keep the OSS for a while... it's more
> likely to work with non-linux flavors of unix (BSD, for instance)
> that might someday become important.  Also, I don't think in Alsa
> you can deliberately output non-standard MIDI messages, which you
> occasionally need.

I agree here: rawmidi access can come in handy sometimes. ALSA still
has rawmidi devices as /dev/snd/midiCxDx. It might be useful in the
long run to make Pd accept names for rawmidi devices, not only
numbers, but for now, the numbering is okay, I don't think ALSA will
drop the /dev/midi device names in the near future. ;)

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41