[PD-dev] pd-devel

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun May 8 18:10:55 CEST 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> 1. any objections if i add a new package to the sourceforge file section
> called pd-devel (or maybe rename the pd-extended package)?

You're welcome, but don't call it pd-devel, nor pd-dev, because both
suffixes are used in several linux distros to indicate the package holding
both the *.h and *.a files that are related to the other package that
doesn't have the suffix; so, in those distros, the "pd-devel" package
would contain the m_pd.h corresponding to the package called just "pd".

> 2. any objections if i release a pd-0.38-4-devel-1 tarball?

No objections, and just do it with that kind of name until a better name
is found. A more inviting name is welcome.

More opinions:

I think that we don't need to rename the "devel_0_38" branch right away;
it's not the right moment yet. But it should be done some day, and the new
branch shouldn't have a version number in it. If needed, we will make
subbranches of it for particular stable releases of our work.

I also think that, to promote evolution of the PureData source code base,
when Miller's 0.39 gets published, diffs between Miller's 0.38 and 0.39
should be merged to devel_0_38, and not the other way around. This is
especially important if there is more work being done on the non-Miller
side than on the Miller side.

What do you think of this?

  ,-o---------o---------o---------o-. ,---. irc.freenode.net #dataflow |
  `-o--------------o--------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |