[PD-dev] introducing myself - was: New external on neural networks

Davide Morelli info at davidemorelli.it
Fri May 13 14:43:30 CEST 2005

Oh, well..
you asked!

I was born in a mid summer night in 1975 here in Livorno, a city near Pisa
and Florence, in Tuscany, Italy.
I studied piano when I was a boy, then classical guitar. After the high
school I studied saxophone at the city's conservatory "Istituto Pareggiato
P. Mascagni" (Pietro Mascagni, the one from Cavalleria Rusticana). I
graduated in saxophon but I can't say I'm fond of playing any particular
instrument (I can play piano, flute, baroque flute, classical guitar,
electric one, bass, percussion, very little bit of violin.. I'd learn cello
if I had money to buy one) nor I am really good in any..  I begun composing
at the age of 15, singing in rock band but I never felt comfortable with it,
so I begun playing music for theatre and dance shows.. That amused me a lot.
At the age of 24 I realized I could not live only writing music so I took a
degree at the univerisy of Pisa in "Informatica" (software developing) and
started working as software developer in a little (very little) company I
created with a friend (www.parser.it). We do whatever comes to us: from
simple internet sites to complex distribuited (desktop/web) applications. My
works are mostly in C# and C++ when I have enough time... I am happy when I
can work on linux.
In the past 3 years I put composition aside (and worked a lot) but last
summer I relized that software developing and composition don't have to be
separate.. so I begun my way with csound, I was mainly interested in slowing
down the timeline and focus on those sounds we hear but cannot listen
because they're too short.
I passed from csound to pd some month ago becouse I want to use my pc as an
instrument, I am interested in realtime.
My first pd patch was a porting of a nice csound synth, The second was a
karplus strong resonant filter (well, I must admit I only followed Derek
Holzer's cues..)
My first external (the one I'm asking cvs access for) is nn, now renamed
ann_mlp: Multi layer Perceptron Neural Networks
I am now working on ann_tdnn : Time Delay Neural Networks (for gesture
recognition)
both of them using FANN.

composers I love:
microsounders,
steve reich, p. glass
chet baker, miles, coltrane
debussy, ravel, etc..
bach, mozart, etc..
reinassance music
medieval music

some link:
www.davidemorelli.it
http://www.puredata.org/Members/dmorelli

PS.
my first computer was a ZX Spectrum (how I love that little piece of cake),
when I was 10 I built my first 2 programs:
1 - a matematical functions visualizer (simple functions)
2 - a little sequencer (obviously not polyphonic)
.. funny: at the age of 30 I'm finally doing the same things I was doing
when I was 10!