[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Draft Templates for PD reference Files

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri May 20 17:36:50 CEST 2005

On May 20, 2005, at 6:15 AM, Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Eventually, the proper place for those scripts would need to be
>>> pd.tk, or, even better, they would make a separate package
>>> required or sourced at Pd startup.
>> How about if there was a directory like "lib", where every .tcl or
>> .tk  file in there would be sourced by Pd at startup?
>
> yes, it would make customizing of pd-gui much easier, and it could
> somewhat improve robustness of gui externals.  If the purpose of
> such a directory is customizing and extending locally (per user
> or per site), it will never be overwritten with new Pd installs.

If people want to make their own extensions, then we'd need to have a
-path config option for this location as well, so that the user could
specify one.

> Another thing is splitting pd.tk, which is already too big, and it
> might not survive adding more features by random patching.  This
> is a typical case of a permanently makeshift code...  perhaps,
> time to decide one way or the other about Tk, after all these
> years?

There are definitely a number of things that need to be cleaned up in
pd.tk.  In particular, I've been wanted to redo the whole menu/key
commands system for a while.  It would greatly simplify tailoring Pd to
be as native as possible on each platform.

>> First a quick comment: 8080 is a commonly used port.  How about we
>> use  a high 5-digit port number?  That would prevent conflicts.  It
>> could be
>
> might even work passing 0 to "socket", although I vaguely remember
> reading about an os where this causes troubles.  So, it currently
> starts from 8080, and goes on incrementing until there is a free
> port.  I think, the range of well-knowns is 0-1023, registered
> range is up to 49151, should we start from 49152, then?

Sounds good.

>> Also, mime associations work well with the Pd.app on Mac OS X so
>> file:// links would work no problem on Mac OS X.  I use them all of
>> the
>
> sadly, I have never used osx... so I wonder, does it support
> running multiple Pd instances?  Is the association made by your
> installer, or by (each user's) hand?

The tcl-mac people have handled this quite well.  With the AppMain.tcl
method of building a Mac OS X .app.  A .app is a directory layout for
an encapsulated application, everything is included in a folder
ApplicationName.app, which then appears as a double-clickable
application.  Mac OS X reads a property list from within each .app to
see which file types that .app supports, what its application and file
icons are, the name, version, etc. etc.

All that you have to do is copy a .app to your computer, and Mac OS X
will register that information from that .app's property list.  That
means you can have as many copies of Pd running as you have copies of
Pd on your hard drive.  But it automatically prevents you from starting
a copy of the same .app.

This is why building the Pd.app was so worth all of the effort.  Pd now
behaves very much like a native Mac OS X app.

____

                             http://at.or.at/hans/