[PD-dev] Mac OS X Pd.app build fixes

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun May 22 07:55:04 CEST 2005

After a long journey into obscure Mac OS X linking options, I finally
figured out the build problem that Miller and I were having.  I also
included Jamie's renaming fix, and renamed "pdtcl" to "libPdTcl.dylib"
following the Mac OS X standard.  You can get the patch here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=1204294&group_id=55736&atid=478072

I ended up with this bear of a linking target:

 > $(BIN_DIR)/libPdTcl.dylib: $(GOBJ) $(GSRC)
 >       cd ../obj && $(CC) -dynamiclib -read_only_relocs warning  \
 >               -o $(BIN_DIR)/libPdTcl.dylib $(GOBJ)  \
 >               -F at TCLTK_FRAMEWORKS_PATH@ \
 >               -framework Tcl  -framework Tk  -framework System  \

-Wl,-install_name, at executable_path/../Resources/bin/libPdTcl.dylib
@TCLTK_FRAMEWORKS_PATH@/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4/Tcl\

@executable_path/../Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4/Tcl \
@TCLTK_FRAMEWORKS_PATH@/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Tk \

@executable_path/../Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Tk \
 >               ../bin/libPdTcl.dylib

With this patch, the preferred way to build the Pd.app is to install
TclTkAqua.dmg version of your choice into the default location.
(preferrably the newest, especially 8.4.7 or newer since it included
Jamie's CG updates).  So I am using TclTk-8.4.9 installed into
/Library/Frameworks.  On Tiger, TclTk 8.4.7 is installed into
/System/Library/Frameworks.

To build the Pd.app, run "make darwin_app_core" in
"packages/darwin_app".  Make sure a copy of
"TclTkAquaStandalone-8.4.9.dmg" is in that same directory.  The
Makefile will pull all the files it needs from there.

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice, it
can change entire economies."

     - Amy Smith