collective decision making WAS: Re: [PD-dev] motex cvs

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Fri Jun 3 17:39:10 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

GG wrote:
> > So this is the problem. Someone would have to really think about it,
[...]

> The key here before we can make any decisions at all, we need to come
> up with a method of making decisions.  I think the Debian model makes a
> lot of sense: one developer, one vote.  We could just adopt a lot of
> the Debian model directly, since its tried-n-true and well developed.
>
> How to become an official developer:
> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step1
>
> Debian Voting Info:
> http://www.debian.org/vote/

I think this is definitely too complicated. Did you really read all
this stuff ? The rest probably boils down to every developer has a vote.

Most of the debian applicants probably think that the new
maintainer process is everything else than tried-n-true ..

http://nm.debian.org/ and check out the statistics or write to one of
the guys who had to wait three years to become maintainer.

On the voting page ... "Condorcet method", "Cloneproof Schwartz
Sequential Dropping", .. what ?

Is this really necessary ?

> A non-profit organization takes A LOT of work to set up, I've been thru
> it, as well as money to pay lawyers.  And that's just for a U.S.
> non-profit, an international NGO could easily be much more work to set
> up.  I am not at all opposed to doing it, I just think it doesn't make
> much sense right now.  I think the way to go would be first set up an
> organization, then eventually make it a legal entity.  Plus there are
> many decisions that will need to be made when setting up the NGO, so
> first, we need a mechanism for making decisions.

I am not a lawyer. Maybe there is an easier way then to have a common bank
account without having to pay taxes, like a "Verein" or such.

Well, I know, my mind is just too simple

Guenter