[PD-dev] external failure OS X

martin pichlmair pi at attacksyour.net
Tue Jun 14 20:10:50 CEST 2005

it might be a good guess that this is another incident of the well
known osx linking issue:

from jamie (on may 2nd):
------------------------8<------
...this is probably because you are using that s_loader patched
version of pd, right?  If so, then you may need to change the linking
of OSC's compile from flat_namespace to two_level_namespace (which is
default, so you don't really need to add it)...or rather preferably
use -bundle -bundle_loader /where/is/your/installed/pd/binary
------------------------>8------

the "patched version" was talked upon on december 9th 2004 - also jamie:
------------------------8<------
...the OSX version of pd uses the following in s_loader.c to load
externals:

ret = NSLinkModule( image, filename,
         NSLINKMODULE_OPTION_BINDNOW + NSLINKMODULE_OPTION_PRIVATE );

...pdp2gem will load if I remove NSLINKMODULE_OPTION_PRIVATE, which
brings up my question:  will removing this cause other problems?

patching + recompiling pd and changing _your external's_ link style
from flat to two-level + bundle(_loader) should work. lest it did for
me when linking to a lib.

good luck
martin