[PD-dev] compiling pd-devel & pd 0.38-4 noise on startup

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Thu Jun 23 18:28:30 CEST 2005

Hey all,

I've checked out pd HEAD and I'm not sure if I should have used a
release tag? Anyhow the usual ./configure does not work due to the fact
that there is no "configure" file in pd/src.

What tag should I be using? Does compiling pd-devel take steps other
than the usual ./configure && make depend && make ?

Also I tried Millers 0.38-4 on my newly installed sarge machine. Oddly
when I start PD I get an awful screeching sound (even without turning on
"compute audio"). Turning on and then off compute audio makes the sound
go away, but it is there constant with compute audio on. I'm using oss
on 2.6.8. with an onboard RealTek alc850.

When testing audio I can hear the tone through the noise (that does not
change amplitude). All other audio apps work fine without noise...

Ah ok, so what I did was turn off the audio input and now I'm getting a
clean sound without noise. Anyone else seen anything like this with the
audio in causing noise in the audio out? Ok, and If I change the audio
input to 1 channel then I get no noise as well, even with audio in
turned on. I guess I'll leave it at only one channel in. This damn card
has so many connectors on it I'm only using "line out" for "stereo mode"
  I guess which is set by the driver.

Its been a while since I used Oss... how do I start the software mixer???

Thanks all!